October 14, 2021
A marketing funnel is essentially a path for how users could interact with your marketing content as they move closer to becoming a customer with your business.
- A business might be found through a search engine by a potential customer.
- The customer lands on their website and reads a blog post on the topic they searched for.
- They then download a related free PDF resource.
- This means giving up their email address to get the resource and join the mailing list.
- This drops them into an automated welcome series of emails
- After the first three emails, they eventually make their first purchase.
The stages of a marketing funnel
- Awareness: getting to know you. Think about meeting a new person.
- Consideration: let me think about that. Think about asking them out on a date.
- Conversion: count me in. Think about a marriage proposal.
- Loyalty: I really like you. Think about staying married.
Tips for getting started.
- List out all of your marketing efforts. Label which stage they fit into
- Map out the connections between platforms.
- Eliminate anything that isn't driving business growth.
- Begin tracking how people move through these stages.
- Optimize places where bottlenecks occur.
What is a Marketing Funnel and Why Do You Need One?
September 30, 2021
We have 55 things on our official website launch list, but this is the top 10 things to check when you launch a site.
- Set WordPress to allow indexing: Settings —> Reading: "Discourage search engines from indexing this site"
- Make sure Analytics is installed
- Add launch date to Analytics as a "shared annotation"
- Along with any other tracking software, like FreshMarketer or CrazyEgg
- Add new site to Google Search Console
- Listen for issues
- Make sure to submit your new sitemap
- Make sure test blog entries have been removed. Remove "uncategorized" category.
- Check time zone settings: eg. New York vs GMT -5
- Make sure posts are "by" the site owner
- Check for special characters.
- Invisible on Mac
- You can see them on Windows or Chrome OS.
- Set up redirects
- Check API keys for Google Maps and Google ReCaptcha
- Make sure your forms work
September 16, 2021
A messaging strategy is a filter to figure out the right words to say to the right people.
The 5 components of any effective messaging strategy are:
- Audience: who are you trying to do business with?
- Problem: what is their issue?
- Solution: how can you help them?
- Credibility (Guide): why should they trust you?
- Action: what do they need to do to get started?
So where does all of this go? Use this as a filter for all of the content you create. It should be your internal guide as a team to produce a consistent brand message.
September 2, 2021
SEO is a key strategy for having your business discovered online. But what is SEO and how do you take advantage of it? SEO is more than just flipping a switch on your website—it’s a long-term, intentional strategy. But getting some of the basics right are easier than you think.
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. That refers to organic search results compared to paid search.
Google doesn't really change the rules very often so don't overthink it. Great content will get you a long way.
Three main areas to focus on for organic SEO:
- Technical: becoming pretty easy in most cases.
- Speed: Simple theme with a good host
- Mobile responsive
- Magic checkbox: "Discourage search engines from indexing this site”
- On-site SEO
- Page titles, avoid jargon
- Content: headers and separate pages
- External links: hard to get anymore, Get the low-hanging fruit